Our client is a boutique investment advisory firm specializing in radio & TV broadcasting, the wireless spectrum, towers and shared infrastructure, data centers & hosting, and renewable energy. The Associate role at our client is a critical driver of deal execution, primarily responsible for ensuring that the needs of their clients are fully satisfied in both the content and quality of our engagements. Our client looks to Associates as essential members of the deal execution team who leverage the firm’s resources responsibly, partner effectively with Managing Directors and Vice Presidents, and successfully demonstrate leadership with the Analysts assigned to their deals.
This position is in the Renewable Energy group, our client’s newest and fastest growing industry practice, consisting of a team of nine banking professionals (3 MDs, 1 VP, 2 Associates and 3 Analysts). The Renewables practice is active in the solar and wind sectors, and our client is committed to serving a broad range of clients and investors in the U.S. market. Our client’s Renewables practice has been serving clients since 2012.
Our client offers a competitive compensation package including base salary, an annual bonus, profit sharing, 401k, and health/dental/vision plan.
The Associate role is based in San Francisco, where the Renewables team is located. If you are interested in applying for the position, you can apply to job #292 on our careers website.
Our client is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Role description for Associates:
Associates are successful with the following skills, competencies and characteristics:
1. Emerging Leadership
- Responsible for ensuring clear communication and feedback: serve as a bridge between junior and senior resources because of their prior success as Analysts
- Actively engaged in driving execution: deliver for clients in a manner that is consistent with our client’s values
- Develop and create pitches and presentations: primarily accountable for timely, accurate and compelling materials
- Direct Analysts: responsible for the timeliness, quality and accuracy their work product; lead by example with Analysts and is a fair and effective manager
- Engaged participants in industry and client events: develop role as presenter and lead in some aspects of client interaction and support
- Engaged in feedback: solicit it from senior team members and provide it effectively to Analysts
- Team focus: all members of the deal team support their colleagues in their work – pitching in to get the job done is an essential trait
- Industry expertise: guide research on companies and industry trends, conducting it themselves when necessary to meet deadlines or needs of senior bankers
- Deal timelines: ensure these are met and keep deal teams focused on deliverables
- Manage upwards: successful and clear communication with senior bankers around expectations and timelines
- Drives production of key pitch and deal deliverables
- Pitch books
- Org Books
- Management Presentations
- Due diligence analysis
- Other materials as needed
- Primary trainers: review Analyst work and contribute to their professional development
- Critical thinking around processes: consistently seek more efficient ways to execute effectively and with excellence
The ideal candidates will have 2 to 3 years of experience as an Analyst and 1 to 2 years of experience as an Associate. Series 63 and 79.
- Ability to build and maintain a client operating model that can be shared externally and which can be used by Excel users of only moderate ability
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity by developing a general understanding of practice groups business models, growth drivers, competitive dynamics and current engagements
- Has a greater capacity to juggle multiple assignments, preferring to tackle what needs to be done as soon as possible in order to create flexibility for unanticipated demands
- Articulates our client’s value proposition and strategic focus at a high level to clients and other external parties
- Capacity to develop viewpoints and agendas for presentations and pitches
- Ability to present sections of pitches with confidence and clarity
- Demonstrated capacity to be the sole representative in meetings, such as diligence sessions between a client and investor/buyer prospect
- Starting to develop a network of relationships with peers at financials sponsors and client companies
- Emerging ability to “pinch hit” for VPs as needed by an industry practice
- Confident and competent to lead calls when needed
- Familiar with our client’s practice groups and capable of articulating their focus and strategies
- Understand the key sections of a purchase agreement, how they are related, and the common negotiating points
- Understand the interests and investment criteria of middle-market private equity firms
- Act as a key point of contact to clients during the deal process
- Anticipate the next steps in a transaction and be pro-active. Strong capacity to juggle multiple assignments
Bachelor of Science,
Bachelor of Arts,
Bachelor of Business Administration
Preferred Work Status
U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
Willingness to Travel